powerpc64 status and request for testers

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Tue Feb 16 20:15:38 UTC 2010

Hi Nathan,

On 15.02.10 17:05, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> I have been working on a full 64-bit PowerPC port of FreeBSD which is
> now mature enough that wider exposure and testing would be appreciated.
> It boots multiuser and most ports seem to just work, etc. Note that this
> is still very raw, however; building it remains tricky, and it may have
> fatal bugs resulting in data loss.
>
> Caveats:
> - Memory above 2 GB is not really supported yet, due to lack of IOMMU
> support or bounce buffers.

Is more memory ignored or does it hurt operation?

> Then set up a DHCP server for netbooting, turn on tftpd, and issue a
> command like boot enet:0,loader.ppc64 from open firmware on the target
> machine. If you give this code a try, please let me know the results.

I have my issues here, though I do not know if ppc related or DHCP/TFTP.

The target is a Dual 1.8Ghz G5, 2.5GB Memory.

The build host is an i386 which eports the installation on
/exports/netboot/ppc64

The tftpboot directory contains the loader.ppc64

The dhcpd.conf looks like this:

host bohrium {
      hardware ethernet 00:0a:95:bf:0f:de;
      fixed-address bohrium.andreas.nets;
      next-server 192.168.225.35;
      filename "loader.ppc64";
      option root-path "192.168.225.35:/export/netboot/ppc64";
  }

I can issue the of boot command and I see that I can download the
loader.ppc64. It 'starts' with my build machines name etc.

But then I get repeated messages like below:

xmt1 timeout , STAT=00002086, Txlist.status=efbeadde:efbeadde

a lot of lines after it says 'bootp: no reply'
and 'panic: arp: no response for 0.0.0.0'

I had to manually type that down....

Any idea? Is my tftp/dhcp crap? Or is my G5 not ready yet ;)

TIA,

Andreas