graphics on G4

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Tue Oct 21 09:50:57 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-10-20 at 22:27 -0400, Justin Hibbits wrote:
> An oddity I've found with FreeBSD/ppc on my G4 MDD -- when I do anything with
> graphics, after a while the whole machine just hangs when I try to spawn a new
> process.  It's not a deterministic problem, it just happens 'eventually', but
> nearly 100% of the time it does happen -- when I start X or play with the
> framebuffer directly (mmap(2) of /dev/tty or /dev/mem with the offset of the
> video card).  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I haven't tried with the
> latest -CURRENT, but every kernel from January through August that I've built of
> -CURRENT has exhibited this problem.  I have an ATI Radeon 9600 mac edition, in
> a MDD w/ 1.25GB RAM.
>
> - Justin

Not sure if this is related, but I get the same thing on my G4 GbE/ADC
when starting X - blank screen, then C-M-BS doesn't return syscons, nor
does anything else. strangely enough if I type 'shutdown -h now' on a
known root console, the system shuts down. I do experience a display
hanng though.

I only know this to be an issue with X - I haven't played with anything
else yet.

(7.1-BETA, -CURRENT unknown.)

ATi Rage 128 Pro.

Also, Justin, I envy you your machine. It sounds frickin' sweeeeeet. :)

-- Horst