graphics on G4

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Tue Oct 21 02:27:56 UTC 2008

An oddity I've found with FreeBSD/ppc on my G4 MDD -- when I do anything with
graphics, after a while the whole machine just hangs when I try to spawn a new
process.  It's not a deterministic problem, it just happens 'eventually', but
nearly 100% of the time it does happen -- when I start X or play with the
framebuffer directly (mmap(2) of /dev/tty or /dev/mem with the offset of the
video card).  Has anyone else run into this problem?  I haven't tried with the
latest -CURRENT, but every kernel from January through August that I've built of
-CURRENT has exhibited this problem.  I have an ATI Radeon 9600 mac edition, in
a MDD w/ 1.25GB RAM.

- Justin