Apple Tumbler and Snapper audio: looking for testers

Justin Hibbits jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu
Fri Oct 10 12:48:58 UTC 2008

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 10:23:34AM +0200, Marco Trillo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Justin Hibbits <jrh29 at alumni.cwru.edu> wrote:
> > I applied the patch, and got all the same output on my MDD as in your email, but
> > there is no /dev/pcm0.  I do have a /dev/sndstat, and /dev/mixer0.  The
> > following is the output of /dev/sndstat:
>
> Thanks for testing it!
>
> As Nathan commented, the pcm drivers "create" various /dev/dsp and
> /dev/audio device nodes. They are created "on demand" using devfs, so
> they will not appear when doing a ls in the /dev directory until they
> are opened for the first time, in this case by an audio player.
>
> Thanks,
> Marco.

I had meant /dev/dsp*, not /dev/pcm, was a typo.  When did they start getting
created on demand?  A kernel from roughly 2 months ago created /dev/dsp0 at load
time, instead of access time, so I was confused this time around.  Running an
actual test, with ogg123, worked.  I don't have speaker output, but I do have
line-out output.  I think the speaker output is a different issue, because I
don't even get the startup chime through the speaker anymore.

Guess long story short, it works well.  Now I just need to get my ass in gear
and get the altivec code done, then my G4 will be nearly 100% complete.

- Justin