bootloader installation

Nathan Whitehorn nwhitehorn at freebsd.org
Tue Oct 7 17:30:35 UTC 2008

Horst Günther Burkhardt III wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 03:51 +1030, Shane Ambler wrote:
>
>> What machine is this on, an old beige G3?
>>
>> Is your problem the 8GB limit? Try having the kernel in a partition that
>> is completely inside the first 8GB.
>>

> GOD NO.
>
> It's a ppc7400. Graphite Power Mac G4 400MHz ADC/GigE model.
>
> Using hd0:11 as the target allows the bootloader to Do Something (tm)
> but I have found the next glitch:
>
> 0 > boot cd:,\boot\loader hd0:11,   load-size=39748 adler32=bb45cad1

> CLAIM failed
>   ok
> 0 >

Well, this is why we need a better system (thanks for your persistence).
I'm assuming you tried several commands, and then that one worked? OF
sometimes needs you to reboot after a failed boot (reset-all, or hit the
power button). If you don't, it gets itself into a bad state, and gives
this message.
-Nathan