bootloader installation

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 17:25:54 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 7:10 PM, Horst Günther Burkhardt III
<horst at sxemacs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 18:31 +0200, Marco Trillo wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Hmm... since you listed "disk1" and "disk0" before, do you have two
>> hard disks? If so, it is possible that the "hd" OF alias is not
>> picking the correct disk where you installed FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, I have two hard disks. the 'hd' alias looks right, but I'm not
> familiar enough with OF to tell.
>
> 0 > devalias hd
>         /pci at f2000000/@d/mac-io at 7/ata-4 at 1f000/disk at 0 ok
> 0 >
>
>> What is the output of the "devalias hd" command in OF, and what type
>> of disks are "disk0" and "disk1" (ATA, USB, etc.) ?
>
> Both disks are UDMA100, on the ATA bus. Internal, naturally.

OK. Then try with the aliases "ultra0" and "ultra1" (or maybe
"ultra2") for the first and second hard disk drives, for example:

0> boot cd:,\boot\loader ultra1:11

If the above aliases do not work, you can also specify the full path.
For example, for the second hard drive:

0> boot cd:\boot\loader /pci at f2000000/@d/mac-io at 7/ata-4 at 1f000/disk at 1:11

(use "disk at Z" for the Z hard disk on that particular ATA bus).

Hope that's helpful,
Marco.