bootloader installation

Horst Günther Burkhardt III horst at sxemacs.org
Tue Oct 7 15:43:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 17:33 +0200, Marco Trillo wrote:
> Hi,
> Assuming you installed FreeBSD from CD, the loader is in the CD, in
> the <boot> directory.
>
> Simply copy the <loader> file in that directory to the root of your
> HFS partition (using Mac OS) and then you can boot from that
> partition. For example if the HFS partition is number X and your
> FreeBSD root partition is number Y, the following command will do it:
>
> 0> boot hd:X,loader hd:Y
>
> Hope that helps,
> Marco.

Most helpful. There's also a parameter in OF that allows autoboot,
correct? (I don't intend to go back from FreeBSD if you get my drift.)

Also, as I don't any longer have OS X there, can I boot into the freebsd
that is on the hard disk, using the cd, from OF somehow, just until I
install the loader?

Another question, does the loader have to reside in the same place as
the /boot directory? or can I leave /boot on the / UFS2 partition
andmerely use the loader?

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 10:36 -0500, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:
> We really need to make installation work better. Can we include a
> port of Apple's HFS implementation in base? I know APSL1 was
> impossible, but are there any thoughts on APSL2 now? Having HFS
> support should also be valuable on x86 with more people dual-booting
> FreeBSD/OS X now.
>
> I suppose that writing a simple write-only HFS implementation should
> not be too hard, either. Maybe this could be hooked into gpart
> bootcode?
> -Nathan

Hear hear about the installer. I think especially now that OS X is
moving to the x86 platform, a lot of old ppc boxes will be left without
maintained software - and to be honest despite some exceptional cases
like the Finnix CD and most of Debian, hardware support in Linux is just
shocking on many PPC macs. Hence FreeBSD having a fully viable PPC port
will (from my standpoint anyway) be an asset to the community.

If there's anything useful I can do (i can't code unfortunately) I'll be
happy to try, by the way. I'm already thinking of writing some
documentation on how to get FreeBSD installed painlessly, so that others
don't go through the hell I've had here.

Thanks. :)

--Horst.