bootloader installation

Marco Trillo marcotrillo at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 15:33:07 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 5:24 PM, Horst Günther Burkhardt III
<horst at sxemacs.org> wrote:
> I have installed FreeBSD, thanks to Richard for suggesting Finnix for
> partitioning, it did the job brilliantly.
>
> ... Where the hell is the bootloader? I can't find it anywhere, and thus
> don't know what to do with the 64MB HFS+ i set aside for it. :(

Assuming you installed FreeBSD from CD, the loader is in the CD, in
the <boot> directory.

Simply copy the <loader> file in that directory to the root of your
HFS partition (using Mac OS) and then you can boot from that
partition. For example if the HFS partition is number X and your
FreeBSD root partition is number Y, the following command will do it:

0> boot hd:X,loader hd:Y

Hope that helps,
Marco.