physical memory limit?

Andreas Tobler andreast-list at fgznet.ch
Mon Oct 6 20:54:55 UTC 2008

Hi Peter,

Peter Grehan wrote:

>> is there an upper physical memory size limitation on ppc?
>
>  For an AIM system (G3/4/5) which is essentially Apple h/w,
> it's 2GB since Apple like to memory-map i/o above that.

Fortunately I have no more slots to fill :)

>> I play on a G3 imac with 1GB memory. On CURRENT. I often
>> get SIGSEGV and a rebuild on that component succeeds.
>> So, for me it seems strange. I'll change some DIMM's and
>> see how far I get.
>
>  I've not had that much RAM in a G3, but certainly have had
> 1GB in a number of G4's without problems. I'm guessing it's a
> VM bug rather than bad memory. Was the component you were
> building using a lot of VM ? (e.g. KDE)

I remember back in 05 we had a similar issue when I tried 'buildworld'
on a G4 alu book. Then you suggested to me to reduce hw.physmem to 512MB.

Right now the failing parts are sporadic, during buildworld or
buildkernel. For example, kerberos5 or openssl. Also nfs in buildkernel.
You see somehow not predictable. A run over the failing part solves the 11.

I'll reduce/replace the memory and see how it behaves.
Thanks,
Andreas