physical memory limit?

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 6 20:39:41 UTC 2008

Hi Andreas,

>is there an upper physical memory size limitation on ppc?

 For an AIM system (G3/4/5) which is essentially Apple h/w,
it's 2GB since Apple like to memory-map i/o above that.

>I play on a G3 imac with 1GB memory. On CURRENT. I often
>get SIGSEGV and a rebuild on that component succeeds.
>So, for me it seems strange. I'll change some DIMM's and
>see how far I get.

 I've not had that much RAM in a G3, but certainly have had
1GB in a number of G4's without problems. I'm guessing it's a
VM bug rather than bad memory. Was the component you were
building using a lot of VM ? (e.g. KDE)

later,

Peter.