FreeBSD on EFIKA

Andrew Turner andrew at fubar.geek.nz
Thu Jan 18 04:35:15 UTC 2007

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 23:01:18 -0300
Olivier Gautherot <ogautherot at vtr.net> wrote:
> Hi folks!
>
> Good to see activity on this project. I am currently investigating
> with a friend what platform to use for embedded systems - we
> saw the standard x86 clones but it would be more fun to use
> an "exotic" architecture and we were impressed by the Efika
> (2W for a 400MHz processor is a real achievement). Our
> dream is to go to a local FreeBSD conference (we are based
> in Chile) and run the presentation on this board - surely a
> long way to go...

Currently FreeBSD doesn't get very far through the boot process on an
EFIKA. I am working on tracking down why it is causing a panic early on
however I have been busy with other commitments so this may take some
time. If you do get an EFIKA it will still require work to port FreeBSD
to. When I have time I will look at a patch sent to the NetBSD list
regarding the way it calls OpenFirmware. The problem is the equivalent
code in FreeBSD is written in C.

Andrew