SMP; autoboot

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Mon Oct 17 23:03:31 PDT 2005

Hi Ben,

> I'll have to install FreeBSD on my Cube -- has anyone tried that?)

  There was a report a while back:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ppc/2004-December/000760.html

  I would guess that it should install fine: the h/w is almost identical
to the G4 tower systems from that era and they run OK.

> Thanks ... hm, with the CHRP script, he has to type
>
>   0 > boot hd:,\freebsd.tbxi
>
> while I type
>
>   0 > boot hd:loader hd:6
>
> without a script.  It's not at all clear to me that he's better off
> than I am.  :-)

  With only a single argument to boot, the 'bootdev' environment
variable can be set to 'hd:,\freebsd.tbxi', and 'autoboot?' set to true.
This allows an automatic boot into FreeBSD with no need to drop into
OpenFirmware.

  I guess that wasn't really mentioned in the article, but it was most
of the way there :)

later,

Peter.