7.0-snap on iBook G4 + few questions

Peter Grehan grehan at freebsd.org
Sat Nov 12 03:13:22 PST 2005

Hi Christopher,

> I am now trying to make the system more useful, i.e. install some
> ports. The lynx package that was on the web works well, even though I
> assume it was compiled for 6.0 (?).

  It was for an early version of 6.0. I haven't done binary packages for
quite a while - you're best bet is to build ports from source.

> Anyway, how do I install the ports collection? Using sysinstall gives
> the following error message: Warning:   Can't find the
> `7.0-20051105-SNAP' distribution on this FTP server...
> And cvsup is obviously not an option either. I am probably missing
> something obvious.

  You should just grab the ports collection, untar it, and manually
build the ones you want:

   ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/ports/ports.tar.gz

> Second question: My iBook has a radeon graphics card. According to the
> the freebsd ppc web site a special driver (radeon_driver.c) is needed.
> Where should this file be put to be compiled? In the xorg source tree?

  In the /usr/ports/x11-servers/xorg-server/ port, do a 'make patch'.
Then drop radeo_driver.c into

   work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/

  ... and 'make' as per normal.

  The patch was done a while back: I hope that it still does the right
thing, since the Xorg port has probably changed since then.

> Related to that question: For the radeon driver to work the sysctl
> hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap should be changed to relax ofw syscon range checks.
> What kind af values are sensible to try?

  It's a boolean so anything > 0 will set it.

later,

Peter.