7.0-snap on iBook G4 + few questions

Christopher Illies christopher.illies at ki.se
Sat Nov 12 02:30:22 PST 2005

I successfully installed FreBSD7.0-snap on my 12inch iBook G4. It runs
very nicely on console mode (using a USB keyboard). Ethernet (gem0)
now also works, which did not work under 6.0.
Nice work, thank you!

I am now trying to make the system more useful, i.e. install some
ports. The lynx package that was on the web works well, even though I
assume it was compiled for 6.0 (?).

Anyway, how do I install the ports collection? Using sysinstall gives
the following error message: Warning:   Can't find the
`7.0-20051105-SNAP' distribution on this FTP server...
And cvsup is obviously not an option either. I am probably missing
something obvious.

Second question: My iBook has a radeon graphics card. According to the
the freebsd ppc web site a special driver (radeon_driver.c) is needed.
Where should this file be put to be compiled? In the xorg source tree?

Related to that question: For the radeon driver to work the sysctl
hw.ofwfb.relax_mmap should be changed to relax ofw syscon range checks.
What kind af values are sensible to try?

TIA,

Christopher