iMac Bondi 233 and 6.0

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Nov 6 23:27:15 PST 2005

In message: <436DD693.1060902 at freebsd.org>
            Peter Grehan <grehan at freebsd.org> writes:
: > Well, 7.0-20051105-current.iso worked, so I'll likely try to install
: > from that...  I need to tear apart the machine I got and install a
: > bigger hard disk first..
:
:   Note that the bmac ethernet driver isn't supported :( I did some work
: on this a long while back (the mii interface works fine), but it's a
: complicated beast since it relies on the general-purpose DMA engine
: provided in the parent macio ASIC.

Hmmm, yummy.  I think a coworker had a contract to port the OSX driver
to Linux at one point, complete with workarounds for ugly DMA bugs...

:   I did try an SMC USB ethernet part but that didn't work on first try,
: and I didn't spend much time diagnosing it.

I have a few different ones.  I'll try my SMC 2202USB/ETH and see if
it works.

: > :   The keyboard doesn't work with the debugger that early in the boot
: > : since it's USB and hasn't been probed yet. I've thought in the past
: > : about modifying syscons so that the PROM could be used until USB is
: > : probed, but it's not pretty. However, it does allow 'boot -d' and
: > : diagnosis for these types of panics.
: >
: > Yea.  That would be cool.
:
:   I'll dig up some patches.

Cool.

My 7.0 install is chugging along.  I've been getting 114KByte/s on the
install.  I'll be waiting a while.  Maybe I should upgrade the 4G
drive that's in there...

Warner