panic booting install CD

Nathan Whitehorn nathanw at uchicago.edu
Thu Nov 3 15:40:43 PST 2005

Peter Grehan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
>  I think I have a fix for the 'curthread != NULL' panic seen on some
> machines when booting. I can now hold down the 'C' key and boot on the
> old eMac.
>
>  I've put up a tiny (4Mb) test iso image that contains just the
> loader, CHRP boot script and kernel:
>
>   http://people.freebsd.org/~grehan/sprg_test.iso
>
>  Would those affected be able to give it a go ? The kernel should now
> get to the 'mountroot>' prompt.

This works perfectly, as noted. I'm trying to install on a Powermac G4
(well, a large variety of powermac g4s) that were affected by this
problem -- and now I have a CD that kernel panics at boot, and one that
doesn't, but can't do anything. Is there any way you could (a) provide
directions for installing using sprg_test.iso (I tried using 2 CD
drives, but can't figure out how to specify root correctly), (b) make a
patched 6.0-RELEASE iso, or (c) tell me how to make my own? Thanks so much,
Nathan