poudriere merging multiple ports trees

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jan 25 15:28:29 UTC 2021

On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 04:25:09PM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:
> On 25/01/2021 15:10, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > BTW I noticed poudriere performs shallow clones for git repos, so it should
> > > not use up a lot of disk space.
> >
> > Why not using directly overlays, it will simplify everything ;)
>
> I don't know if you read me reply or not - I am using poudriere with ports
> overlay but have a problem with it. Poudriere options does not take overlay
> in to account so ports options cannot be configured for overlayed ports
> which do not exist in the base three.
> Is there a way to fix it / should I file a PR for it?
>
> Kind regards
> Miroslav Lachman

Yes I read it and for sure poudriere option not supporting overlays is a
limitation, and yes a PR would help to not forget about implementing it.

That said most people aren't using poudriere option and prefer to define option
directly via make.conf for them overlay is fully suited, and avoid the risk or
dangerous merging of trees may it be via portshaker, or git mechanism.

there are room of improvements for overlays but it should work in most cases

Best regards,
Bapt