Xfce, xfce4-terminal, and UTF-8

Guido Falsi mad at madpilot.net
Fri Jan 1 20:12:31 UTC 2021

On 01/01/21 21:09, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 1/1/21 2:57 PM, Guido Falsi via freebsd-ports wrote:
>> On 01/01/21 20:12, George Mitchell wrote:
>>> I applied the patch from https://reviews.freebsd.org/D27846 to my ports
>>> tree and recompiled with no problems.  But it did not change the compose
>>> key behavior (still fails in xfce4-terminal but works elsewhere).
>>
>> I actually have no idea. I don't know exactly how the compose key is
>> managed in Xorg.
>>
>> My intuition is it's Xorg itself who is managing it, intercepting the
>> key presses before the application and sending it the result if any.
>> But I don't know for sure.
>>
>> Also maybe the setting can be per application. Have you tried
>> configuring the compose key in XFCE settings?
>>
>> Or setting it via command line before launching startxfce4?
>>

> I've been setting it in .csrhc (setxkbmap -option compose:lwin), and
> originally worked for everything including xfce4-terminal.  It still
> works for everything else (including mousepad), but not for
> xfce4-terminal.  The XFCE keyboard settings compose key setting does
> not seem to work for anything.                            -- George

.cshrc does not look like the correct place for it anyway. That file is
executed multiple times during a session. I'm not sure how it can work
for everything else. Also the fact that XFCE has it's own configuration,
if it's not configured from there could cause conflicts.

IMHO a better place would be .xsession if using a display manager or
Xinit if using startx.

If using XFCE as your DE it's own settings tool would be the best place.

--
Guido Falsi <mad at madpilot.net>