Creating port from pre-built package

Shawn Webb shawn.webb at hardenedbsd.org
Thu Feb 11 17:12:10 UTC 2021

On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 06:09:52PM +0100, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > Am 11.02.2021 um 18:03 schrieb Chris <portmaster at bsdforge.com>:
> >
> > On 2021-02-11 08:26, Shawn Webb wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >> The Splunk universal forwarder for FreeBSD is distributed as a package
> >> tarball that you can use `pkg add` on. I'm in a position where I'd
> >> like to create a port of the package so that I can automate certain
> >> tasks.
> > Reverse engineer a package? I think that will violate the NDA you
> > signed. ;-)
> >
> > Really. Unless the package is simply a wrapper of a binary blob. You'll
> > need to *build* the port, as part of the package creation process.
> > That is, unless I've *completely* misunderstood your intent here. :-)
>
> The binary package is provided by the software manufacturer without
> source code.
>
> Still one might want to have a port available so one can put the port
> in poudriere and have it available in one's own package repo.

Right, I'm not aiming to recompile the software. I'm looking to simply
create a new package.txz with the pre-built artifacts included.

Thanks,

--
Shawn Webb
Cofounder / Security Engineer

GPG Key ID:          0xFF2E67A277F8E1FA
GPG Key Fingerprint: D206 BB45 15E0 9C49 0CF9  3633 C85B 0AF8 AB23 0FB2
https://git-01.md.hardenedbsd.org/HardenedBSD/pubkeys/src/branch/master/Shawn_Webb/03A4CBEBB82EA5A67D9F3853FF2E67A277F8E1FA.pub.asc