Creating port from pre-built package

Patrick M. Hausen hausen at punkt.de
Thu Feb 11 17:10:04 UTC 2021

Hi all,

> Am 11.02.2021 um 18:03 schrieb Chris <portmaster at bsdforge.com>:
>
> On 2021-02-11 08:26, Shawn Webb wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> The Splunk universal forwarder for FreeBSD is distributed as a package
>> tarball that you can use `pkg add` on. I'm in a position where I'd
>> like to create a port of the package so that I can automate certain
>> tasks.
> Reverse engineer a package? I think that will violate the NDA you
> signed. ;-)
>
> Really. Unless the package is simply a wrapper of a binary blob. You'll
> need to *build* the port, as part of the package creation process.
> That is, unless I've *completely* misunderstood your intent here. :-)

The binary package is provided by the software manufacturer without
source code.

Still one might want to have a port available so one can put the port
in poudriere and have it available in one's own package repo.

We have ports for proprietary RAID management blobs, we used to
have a port for flash, etc. etc.

HTH,
Patrick
--
punkt.de GmbH
Patrick M. Hausen

Kaiserallee 13a
76133 Karlsruhe

Tel. +49 721 9109500

https://infrastructure.punkt.de
info at punkt.de

AG Mannheim 108285
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Egeling, Daniel Lienert, Fabian Stein