gitup issues [was Re: No update for a day on ports?]

Peter Jeremy peter at rulingia.com
Sun Apr 11 01:34:32 UTC 2021

On 2021-Apr-01 22:36:02 +1100, Trev <freebsd-ports at sentry.org> wrote:
>> I just tried gitup and was told tha I had no permissions for
>> /var/db/gitup.

"sudo chown $USER /var/db/gitup" fixes that.

>I just tried gitup and it was killed after apparently exhausting my
>swap space. I had no such problem with portsnap :-(

gitup walks the destination tree (ie /usr/ports), hashing every file
it finds (by reading the complete file into memory).  Whilst the
default gitup configuration ignores /usr/ports/packages and
/usr/ports/distfiles, it reads and hashes all the files down both
paths before ignoring them.  One consequence is that gitup is unusable
on small memory environments - in my case, I saw peak memory usage hit
5GB (though the largest file I have is 1.8GB, so I'm not sure why it's
eating so much memory).

>My system (Vultr VPS) has 512K memory and 1.5G swap.

git is barely usable on such a system (it's peak memory usage is about
2GB whilst processing a ports tree).  gitup is unusable unless you
either delete all packages and distfiles, or symlink them out of the way.

> > Can I not run gitup as a normal user?
>
>I don't believe so.

Well, git or gitup need write access to the working directory and
the associated metadata directory.

--
Peter Jeremy