Porting Practice

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sun Jul 5 01:08:12 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 12:47, Brandon helsley
<brandon.helsley at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have gotten a couple of emails from portscout about ports that need updated and maintained. Before I go about updating and maintaining these ports I wanted to do some practice on a couple that I use like x11/nvidia-settings. I have recieved alot of help on the forums and from the documentation, but i'm still at a loss as to how the diff process works.
[...]

This is my personal workflow:
 1. Take a simple copy of the port into my working directory
 2. Get the port working in my working directory.
 3. cd my-working-directory
 4. diff -ruN /usr/ports/x11/nvidia-settings . > /tmp/nvidia-settings.patch
 5. submit patch onto bugs.freebsd.org

Hope that helps.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>