Recent wordpress, huge compiling effort, needed?

Michael Grimm trashcan at ellael.org
Wed Jul 1 11:16:32 UTC 2020

Hi

I am running 12.1-STABLE (r362720), ports (head, revison 540950) and poudriere-devel for ports compilations.

The recent update of www/wordpress ended in a compilation 'nightmare', because this port newly depends on ImageMagick:

MWN> cat diff-wordpress
2c2
< # $FreeBSD: head/www/wordpress/Makefile 534850 2020-05-10 13:51:37Z joneum $
---
> # $FreeBSD: head/www/wordpress/Makefile 540837 2020-06-29 22:24:46Z joneum $
5c5
< DISTVERSION=	5.3.3
---
> DISTVERSION=	5.4.2
20c20,21
< USE_PHP=	curl ftp gd hash json mysqli pcre tokenizer xml zip zlib
---
> USE_PHP=	curl exif fileinfo ftp gd hash json mysqli pcre tokenizer xml zip zlib
> RUN_DEPENDS=	${LOCALBASE}/lib/php/${PHP_EXT_DIR}/imagick.so:graphics/pecl-imagick@${PHP_FLAVOR}

Due to this dependeny the following ports need tp be compiled:

devel/llvm80
devel/gobject-introspection
graphics/ImageMagick6-nox11
graphics/cairo
graphics/mesa-libs
graphics/pecl-imagick
net/avahi-app
print/cups
print/ghostscript9-agpl-base
print/harfbuzz
print/libraqm

(BTW: llvm80 runs into an error after 2.5 hours compilation time)

Here is my questions:

1) Why does one need this dependency?
2) I could compile and install the updated port by removing RUN_DEPENDS within a couple of minutes.
   Is this a safe approach, though?
3) If 2) is a safe way to use wordpress remotely from a web browser, then would it possible to remove the dependency by an option? (CC'd this mail to maintainer)

Thanks and regards,
Michael