About protocols in openssl

Willem Jan Withagen wjw at digiware.nl
Fri Feb 28 08:59:30 UTC 2020

On 28-2-2020 01:32, Marcin Cieslak wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Feb 2020, Willem Jan Withagen wrote:
>
>> /home/jenkins/workspace/ceph-master/src/pybind/mgr/.tox/py3/lib/python3.7/site-packages/cryptography/hazmat/bindings/_openssl.abi3.so:
>> Undefined symbol "SSLv3_client_method"
>
> This looks to me that you are trying to build ceph in the virtualenv
> which probably
> pulls required python packages on its own.
>
> Can you make it to depend and use the existing
> security/py-cryptography port?
>
> I don't know how exactly the ceph port is supposed to work but it
> seems to
> require virtualenv for its inner workings. You might want to force
> virtual env to use FreeBSD-provided libraries with --system-site-packages
> but AFAIK it will no longer download anything, i.e. all dependencies
> need to packaged.

Interesting, since virtualenv/tox is used during testing with Continuous
Integration.
And there is where I need the stuff, the port/package comes without the
testing stuff.
People that want to develop stuff for Ceph really should use what is in
the Git repo.

> I have just ran "make test" in my ports tree to test py-cryptography
> and got 1 error (TestECDSACertificate.test_load_ecdsa_no_named_curve)
> but nothing related to SSLv3_client_method being not there.
I guess that is because the ports one does not require SSLv3, and is not
complaining about missing it.
Like you said, very likely virtualenv has pulled its own stuff, and that
will require SSLv3
Which is no longer available by default  in openSSL in ports.

I'll try and see if I can get away with --system-site-packages, and

--WjW