portmaster new development

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 15:55:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 6:04 AM abi via freebsd-ports <
freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 28.12.2020 16:16, Stefan Esser wrote:
> > Am 28.12.20 um 11:11 schrieb abi via freebsd-ports:> I build my ports
> > in poudriere in VM without zfs or ssd on pre-Sandy
> >> Bridge CPU. I don't have enough memory or disk space, so I don't use
> >> tmpfs or ccache either. I migrated from portmaster when it was
> >> abandoned several years ago and don't think I'll come back,
> >> especially if new portmaster will be written on bash. The idea behind
> >> portmaster was zero dependencies, so it doesn't brake after major
> >> upgrades.
> >
> > You are free to use poudriere and it definitely is the official tool
> > for FreeBSD package building (and I have to use it myself and it has
> > cost me a lot of time rebuilding broken poudriere jails and keeping
> > them in state that I can use them to test new ports on a number of
> > different releases as well as i386 plus amd64).
> >
> > And while you are free to never again use portmaster, telling people
> > that it has been abandoned is just a _lie_ and I'd want to ask you to
> > stop telling it. It has been continuously maintained for decades.
> >
> I remember portmaster marked as deprecated in 2016. I've switched to
> poudriere because of that. So, it _was_ abandoned when I migrated. It is
> good that it is not, the more options - the better. But some people here
> telling that poudriere requires ZFS and powerful dedicated hardware, I
> just pointed that they are wrong.

I'm afraid your recollection is in error. While there was a lot of talk of
deprecating it after Doug stopped supporting it. there was only discussion.
Check the history in svn and it simply never happened. Getting rid of it
was heavily pushed by a few people of the "poudreire is the solution to all
port updating issues and all other should be removed" stripe, but it is and
was never the solution for many even though it is a great tool and should
be considered the "standard" method of ports management.

If Stefan had not stepped up, deprecation would have had to happen as
bitrot would have required it.
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com