portmaster new development

abi abi at abinet.ru
Mon Dec 28 14:04:27 UTC 2020

On 28.12.2020 16:16, Stefan Esser wrote:
> Am 28.12.20 um 11:11 schrieb abi via freebsd-ports:> I build my ports
> in poudriere in VM without zfs or ssd on pre-Sandy
>> Bridge CPU. I don't have enough memory or disk space, so I don't use
>> tmpfs or ccache either. I migrated from portmaster when it was
>> abandoned several years ago and don't think I'll come back,
>> especially if new portmaster will be written on bash. The idea behind
>> portmaster was zero dependencies, so it doesn't brake after major
>> upgrades.
>
> You are free to use poudriere and it definitely is the official tool
> for FreeBSD package building (and I have to use it myself and it has
> cost me a lot of time rebuilding broken poudriere jails and keeping
> them in state that I can use them to test new ports on a number of
> different releases as well as i386 plus amd64).
>
> And while you are free to never again use portmaster, telling people
> that it has been abandoned is just a _lie_ and I'd want to ask you to
> stop telling it. It has been continuously maintained for decades.

I remember portmaster marked as deprecated in 2016. I've switched to
poudriere because of that. So, it _was_ abandoned when I migrated. It is
good that it is not, the more options - the better. But some people here
telling that poudriere requires ZFS and powerful dedicated hardware, I
just pointed that they are wrong.