FLAVORS for Ruby

Dewayne Geraghty dewaynegeraghty at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 07:29:37 UTC 2019

Bottom line: flavors came into being to satisfy specific needs.  Python 2
underwent substantial changes during the upgrade to python 3, to the extent
that many (most) python applications would cease to function.  Similarly
php5 to php7.  Without flavours the user-base would've been severly
impacted during the upgrade transition where some fraction of their
applications would fail.  Flavours, though I didn't appreciate it at the
time, was/is a really smart move and has saved most of us contorting our
systems  with different versions of the "same" software

I suppose if the ruby developers make such a substantial change to the
language that applications break, then adding flavors to ruby might be
worthwhile.  As stated, there is substantial effort required and the need
significant.  And as I still have "ports" that use python2 (though most use
python3), I greatly appeciate their effort.

Is there a specific issue, ie breakage requiring ruby flavors?