FLAVORS for Ruby

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Tue Sep 17 06:40:43 UTC 2019

On Tue, Sep 17, 2019 at 01:16:50AM +0900, Koichiro Iwao wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 08:54:17AM -0600, Adam Weinberger wrote:

> > > PHP also have FLAVORS. What about PHP? Multiple concurrent PHP versions
> > > is essential?
> >
> > We're going in circles here. I've for the third time now that what
> > we'd need to get on board is a use case, a description of the end-user
> > problem that we're trying to solve.
> >
> > What you've provided (for the fourth time in this thread) is a straw
> > man argument. What other languages have is irrelevant. We are much
> > less concerned with "consistency" than with solving end-user problems
> > in a way that fits the specific use case.
> >
> > Steve seemed interested in the idea. I'd explore it with him, and I
> > hope you are able to make it happen. I'm done here.
>
> Thanks. I see a gap between you and me but I'll give it a try anyway
> with swills.
>
> You:  If there's no valid reasons, don't do it.
> Me:   If there's no invalid reasons, try it.
>
> I believe that the reason Ruby don't have FLAVORS is just nobody worked
> on that. In fact, swills worked on that a little.
>
> BTW, if I can do something only necessary, what a boring life.

What we are all trying to say is that adding flavors for ruby will have
a big impact on build time and ressources required for building.

If all you want is to have ruby flavors for the kicks of it, then I am
glad to tell you that no, it will not be done.

Now, the question is, why would someone need to have ruby flavors?

The answer cannot be "because it should be fun" or "there is no reason
there should not be".

Give us a real reason about why it would be required.

--
Mathieu Arnold