www/falkon pkg missing from the repo

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 15:58:38 UTC 2019

A few days ago, calibre went missing from the pkg repo; this was due
to an upgrade from version 3.xx to version 4.xx, so technically
understandable, even if it was unfortunate for users.

Today I wanted to reinstall falkon (due to some library updates,
related to other packages on my system).

root at kg-core2# pkg install -f falkon
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'falkon' have been
found in the repositories

What? But it's there, look:

root at kg-core2# pkg info falkon
falkon-3.1.0
Name           : falkon
Version        : 3.1.0
Installed on   : Wed May  1 20:26:15 2019 CEST
Origin         : www/falkon
Architecture   : FreeBSD:11:amd64
Prefix         : /usr/local
[cut to save lines]
Freshports also confirms that the port is still active, hasn't been
upgraded to a new version or something else.
So, what happened to the package?

In case anyone isn't totally clear on this:
building support for the package system among users requires that
those users can rely on that package system to be consistent,
dependable and so on.
Doing "pull the rug under your legs" stunts (intended or not) makes
users distrust the package system; they might even go back to using
ports, even if it will cost them a lot more in build time.

Details:

root at kg-core2# uname -a
FreeBSD kg-core2.kg4.no 11.3-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 11.3-RELEASE-p3 #0:
Mon Aug 19 21:08:43 UTC 2019
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

--
Regards,