devel/llvm80 requires many python 2.7 ports?

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Thu Jul 25 22:07:56 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 02:57:29PM -0700, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> I just went to build llvm80 after discovering that I could not install the
> package without moving from the drfault samba48 back to the deprecated
> samba47.
>
> When I try to build the port, I get:
> Upgrade llvm80-8.0.0_2 to llvm80-8.0.1
> Install textproc/py-recommonmark at py27
> Install textproc/py-docutils at py27
> Install textproc/py-sphinx at py27
> Install devel/py-Jinja2 at py27
> Install devel/py-babel at py27
> Install devel/py-pytz at py27
> Install textproc/py-MarkupSafe at py27
> Install devel/py-typing at py27
> Install graphics/py-imagesize at py27
> Install textproc/py-alabaster at py27
> Install textproc/py-pygments at py27
> Install textproc/py-snowballstemmer at py27
> Install textproc/py-pystemmer at py27
> Install textproc/py-sphinx_rtd_theme at py27
> Install textproc/py-sphinxcontrib-websupport at py27
> Install www/py-requests at py27
> Install dns/py-idna at py27
> Install net/py-urllib3 at py27
> Install net/py-ipaddress at py27
> Install net/py-pysocks at py27
> Install security/py-certifi at py27
> Install security/py-cryptography at py27
> Install devel/py-asn1crypto at py27
> Install devel/py-cffi at py27
> Install devel/py-pycparser at py27
> Install security/py-openssl at py27
> Install textproc/py-chardet at py27
> Install devel/py-pytest-runner at py27
> Install devel/py-setuptools_scm at py27
>
> Is llvm80 really still stuck using v2 Python? I looked at the very complex
> Makefile, and it's very clear: _USES_PYTHON?=  python:2.7,build
>
> Will this going away some day soon? I know that end of 2.7 support is
> approaching and I have only a handfull of python 2.7 ports left, mostly to
> support print/hplip (HP printer drivers for CUPS) and hope to get rid of
> them soime day soon.

Historically LLVM has required Python v2.  I've not checked if 8.0.1 can
be pinned to 3.6 like I've done with llvm-devel.  llvm90 (coming soon)
will use python 3.6.  I'll keep switching llvm80 in mind, but given that
such a change will require everyone to rebuild it I'll probably wait and
combine it with other changes.

-- Brooks