Config inconsistency for firefox-esr on rpi2

bob prohaska fbsd at www.zefox.net
Tue Feb 26 01:03:21 UTC 2019

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 12:54:23AM +0100, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> Take a look at a dependencies of firefox-esr
> https://www.freshports.org/www/firefox-esr/
>
> in build dependencies:
> gtk3>=3.14.6 : x11-toolkits/gtk30

I tried for a while to compile various *gtk3 ports, always getting
stuck. Most of the trouble seemed to be missing or failed dependencies.
Sometimes going to the home of the failure and running make there
resolved the problem for that step, but other difficulties always
came out of the woodwork. Eventually I think the process ran aground
on an error with gstreamer and I gave up. For the moment /usr/src was
updated and world is building; much has changed. Then I'll update
/usr/ports and start over.

> in library dependencies:
> libgtk-x11-2.0.so : x11-toolkits/gtk20
> libgtk-3.so : x11-toolkits/gtk30
>
> quite confusing gtk20 vs gtk30...

Would it help if there were a uniform method for naming ports and
versions and any resulting binaries?  Near as I can tell there isn't;
some use 1 digit suffixes, some use 2 digits, some delimit with dots,
some delimit with dashes.  The variety seems endless 8-)

> gtk20 has not option WAYLAND so you need to rebuild gtk30 with option
> WAYLAND enabled.

I neglected to take notes, but gtk30 wouldn't build with wayland
enabled by default. Wayland did build by itself, but that's not
the problem.

It isn't obvious to me if there's a way for multiple ports with
conflicting dependencies to automatically name them so the names
don't conflict. Seems like it would have to be done at both the
source and binary level. Right now it's sometimes hard to figure
out what source directory is needed to create a given binary.

Thanks for reading,

bob prohaska