upgrade of port fails because of existing link

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Apr 10 15:57:37 UTC 2019

On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 04:13:33PM +0200 I heard the voice of
Torfinn Ingolfsen, and lo! it spake thus:

> Often, a port fails to upgrade because of an existing link. Example:
>
> --->  Preserving /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5DBus.so.5 as
> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg/libQt5DBus.so.5
> cp: symlink: libQt5DBus.so.5.12.1: File exists
> Copy failed!

That's not the port, that's portupgrade and its handling of stashed up
compat libs.  It has a bug and does something poorly with symlinks.

It bites me on mesa-libs regularly too, and occasionally elsewhere.  I
grumble, manually delete the compat symlink, then go `portupgrade -w`
the thing again to get it to retry the install.  And hope it annoys
someone else enough that they go fix it...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net