How to exclude some sparse files from LICENSE_DISTFILES

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Mon Oct 8 09:53:52 UTC 2018

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 12:24:54PM +0000, Lorenzo Salvadore via freebsd-ports wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I am trying to adopt and update a port which has no license specified.
> Almost all files are under public domain, but there are some exceptions, not all
> in the same directories, so I would need to assign to LICENSE_DISTFILES_PD
> a value that means "all files are under public domain unless otherwise stated".
>
> I thought I could use something like LICENSE_DISTFILES_PD!=$(find ... ), but I know
> that != is discouraged ( https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2008-July/049777.html ).
>
> Is there some nice solution to this problem? Maybe just not defining LICENSE_DISTFILES_PD?
> Defining an ALMOSTPD license?

LICENSE_DISTFILES* is about distfiles, the things in
/usr/ports/distfiles, not about the files in the work directory.  You
can say "this tar.gz is PD, and this tar.gz is GPL" but not more than that.

What you want is

LICENSE= PD OTHER
LICENSE_COMB= multi

(Note if the other license is not defined, you have to define it
further.)

--
Mathieu Arnold