target_COOKIE making a real one?

Harry Schmalzbauer freebsd at omnilan.de
Tue Nov 6 08:25:11 UTC 2018

Sorry, me again, asking hopefully not so stupid questions.

Another thing I'm wondering from the beginning is why the target_COOKIE
don't store metadata.
I think it should be the infrastructure's task to wipe outdated work
directories.

So if PORTREVISION (stored in BUILD_COOKE) or OPTIONS (stored in
CONFIGURE_COOKIE) change, the ${WRKDIR} simply should be removed which
leads to a in-sync build.  To my limited view, this seems a quiet simple
approch, with quiet high user experience improvement.  This could be
extended to record dependencies' COOKIEs hashes in the EXTRACT_COOKIE...

I'm writing a wrapper for that (again) for now, but would be curious
what others think.

Thanks,

-harry