Ports and Packages

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Apr 21 02:30:43 UTC 2018

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018, Jos Chrispijn wrote:

> Due to a mistake (...) I now got a mix of ports and packages on my BSD
> system.

What mistake?

> Can someone advise how to savely switch to packages only on this live
> system?

Why?  I run both ports and packages (the latter when I discovered that
Ruby blew away my swap/tmp) with no problems.

I prefer to use ports because that way I get to specify the options that I
want (as opposed to generic ones which may not apply to me), but I'll use
the package when someone assumes that I have both terabytes and gigahertz
to burn...