why a persistent GCC GCC49 conflict?

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 20 16:07:47 UTC 2017

On 2017/01/20 15:23, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> I don't know why pkg can't see this as a direct replacement.  Perhaps
> pkg does not have support for such metadata.

If there's an entry in ${PORTSDIR}/MOVED saying that lang/gcc49 was
changed to lang/gcc then pkg(8) should replace lang/gcc49 with lang/gcc
for you without trashing anything that depended on lang/gcc49

In more general terms, this is an effect of the strict package+version
dependencies that get baked into packages when they are created.  This
needs a mechanism in pkg(8) for specifying alternate dependencies and
allowed ranges of versions.  Plus tooling in ports to add all this info
to port makefiles and have it included in the generated packages.

	Cheers,

	Matthew