why a persistent GCC GCC49 conflict?

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 20 15:23:44 UTC 2017

On 20 Jan 2017, at 06:45, Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> wrote:

> pkg install driftnet wants to install gcc, and REMOVE
> truecrypt, gcc49, xpi-web-developer...[23 more]...sscalc.
>
> This has been going on almost a half-year it seems.
> as gcc49 and gcc install files into the same place.
>
> Before that several years, again IIRC, with no such specific
> problem...

For a long time, lang/gcc was gcc 4.8, which conflicted with the
lang/gcc48 port.  (Don't ask me why the gcc port maintainer has set it
up this way, I don't know :).

Recently, on 2016-11-20 [1], lang/gcc updated to become gcc 4.9, which
now conflicts with the lang/gcc49 port.  So lang/gcc49 must be removed,
together with all its dependent ports, before lang/gcc can be installed.

I don't know why pkg can't see this as a direct replacement.  Perhaps
pkg does not have support for such metadata.

-Dimitry

[1] https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=426565