Wine & PlayOnBSD

Grzegorz Junka list1 at gjunka.com
Sun Jan 1 15:35:45 UTC 2017

I am using FreeBSD 10.3 x64. I understand that to run Windows
applications on that configuration I can use only one of the following:

1. playonbsd-4.2.10_1
2. wine-staging-2.0.r3_1,1
3. i386-wine-staging-2.0.r3_1,1
4. wine-devel-2.0.r3_1,1
5. i386-wine-devel-2.0.r3_1,1
6. wine-1.8.6,1
7. i386-wine-1.8.6,1

Currently I have installed playonbsd, which is good but it seems that
not all applications I would like to install can be installed on it.

Which one of those options would give me the most compatibility with
office-type and multimedia applications (e.g. DVD player, SoftPhone,
applications that access USB), not necessarily games?

Should I prefer some of these ports over others for my x64 system?

When switching from one port to another (e.g. wine to playonbsd) can I
keep the currently installed Windows applications or I would need to
reinstall any of the applications/libraries installed on the previous
version?

It seems that front-end ports (q4wine, swine) default to 4. from the
list (wine-devel-2.0.r3_1,1). Is there any reason for that? Can they run
without problems on a x64 system?

Many thanks for any insights.

Greg