Setting PERL_VERSION in make.conf

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Mon Mar 7 15:26:41 UTC 2016

On Mon, 7 Mar 2016 14:13:07 +0100 Stefan Bethke <stb at lassitu.de> wrote

> I’m a bit confused about setting PERL_VERSION in make.conf. It seems that
> setting it to 5.20.3 will result in Perl-related ports to be built
> differently than not setting it.
>
> Is this expected? How can I make sure I continue to use the version of perl
> I’ve got currently installed when the default version changes?

As memory serves the *default* minimum version, if none is
chosen, is 5.20. I believe the "correct" way to manipulate
this choice is by way of:

DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=perl5=5.20

changing 5.20 to whichever your desired "default" version is.
The same goes for your lang/python(2|3) as well as your
pgsql, mysql, apache, etc...

does make.conf(5) not already indicate this?

HTH

--Chris