issues in several ports.

Wyle Coyote lovetofly_2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 04:03:47 UTC 2016

History background.
First let me say I've been running freebsd since 4.X, I resisted upgrading after 7.4 for as long as I could and always patch.I upgraded to 10.3 release installed via dvd at the start of December.Before you say, it is not the machine. Check the hardware and it still runs freebsd 7.4 without error.
Yes it is an AMD64

in the uw-imap 2007f it will not compile under the port. In fact I am familiar with imap and the client fairly well. I can get the program to build from source, which I cannot in updated ports.  I also added the -lcrypt
Tried just the c-client out of ports, same problem, no build.

When trying to use php5.6.29 out the ports it also fails to build for 10.3

Then we have the root ca_nss package since someone at freebsd forgot that fetch needs this to check https:. It fails to build as well. Now I was able to use the package install to get around this one. Still isn't ports suppose to be a viable option?if we manage to get a compiling then linking is impossible. Could not read symbols: Bad value
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation) I am guessing we are having a boundary issue from 32 to 64 bits. Just a guess. I am not familiar enough with clang to address the issues.

What is the common thread on all these ports? could not read symbols: Bad value
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
GCC may not have been fully compliant, but Clang appears to have a few more issues.Now the one program that did compile and I could link to libiconv libraries, which build out of the ports,
that will not build of the source.tar ball.
 Even straight source  (tar balls) that works perfect on 7.4 will not on 10.3  could not read symbols: Bad value cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation). So what is the magic switch for this compiler to get these to compile?
Any advice would be great? I think we need to fix a few of these. I am betting it is the new compiler. Seems a lot of these started showing on 10. and not before.
Thank you,Rick