The ports collection has some serious issues

Christoph Brinkhaus c.brinkhaus at t-online.de
Thu Dec 8 17:37:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 09:46:48AM -0500, George Mitchell wrote:
> On 12/08/16 09:14, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 01:28:02PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> >> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 05:16:24AM +0000, Daniil Berendeev wrote:

Hello George!
> >> Have you considered using things like poudriere that would allow you to build
> >> your own repository with your own set of packages and options.
> >
> > Here's a +2 for poudriere.
> >  [...]
>
> I've never been able to complete a poudriere run on my build machine
> without panicking because I have "only" four gigabytes of memory.  (It
> is likely the machine will get more memory for Christmas, though.)  I
> haven't yet had occasion to try synth.
I have two gigabyte only and poudriere works. In the unlucky
constellation of building gcc and dri it requires some swap.
Otherwise the machine hangs, this is true. The CPU is a dual core
type. I have never tried to limit the RAM per jail or number of jobs.
With my configuration poudriere runs two builders.

> I love portmaster.  My build machine is not a production machine, so
> if the build process goes astray, I can at worst delete all ports and
> rebuild them all.  And portmaster will request all options at the
> beginning of the run and then quietly build away until it finishes (or
> breaks).
>
> The worst thing about ports for me is really an NP problem: FreeBSD
> can't possibly test all the option combinations.  So I expect to have
> to do some fine tuning on my own.                           -- George

Happy and successful tuning and enjoy the additional RAM soon!

Kind regards,
Christoph