The ports collection has some serious issues

George Mitchell george+freebsd at m5p.com
Thu Dec 8 14:47:00 UTC 2016

On 12/08/16 09:14, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 01:28:02PM +0100, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 08, 2016 at 05:16:24AM +0000, Daniil Berendeev wrote:
>>> Hello guys!
>>> [...]
>> Have you considered using things like poudriere that would allow you to build
>> your own repository with your own set of packages and options.
>
> Here's a +2 for poudriere.
>  [...]

I've never been able to complete a poudriere run on my build machine
without panicking because I have "only" four gigabytes of memory.  (It
is likely the machine will get more memory for Christmas, though.)  I
haven't yet had occasion to try synth.

I love portmaster.  My build machine is not a production machine, so
if the build process goes astray, I can at worst delete all ports and
rebuild them all.  And portmaster will request all options at the
beginning of the run and then quietly build away until it finishes (or
breaks).

The worst thing about ports for me is really an NP problem: FreeBSD
can't possibly test all the option combinations.  So I expect to have
to do some fine tuning on my own.                           -- George