Downloads policy of Google Code changed

Dr. Rolf Jansen rj at obsigna.com
Wed Apr 2 21:15:56 UTC 2014

Am 02.04.2014 um 09:44 schrieb Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom at gmail.com>:
> Thanks for that interesting report.
> I checked the site and found this announcement:
>
> http://google-opensource.blogspot.de/2013/05/a-change-to-google-code-download-service.html
>
> There they recommend to move new downloads to Google drive.
> I don't know however, if this is a reasonable option for a FreeBSD port.

Marc, thank you very much for the link to the announcement, and the pointer to Google Drive, I forgot that detail.

Am 02.04.2014 um 16:42 schrieb Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Václav Zeman <vhaisman at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/02/2014 02:35 PM, Dr. Rolf Jansen wrote:
>>> At the end of the last year, Google Code changed their policy to not
>>> to allow anymore new downloads from the projects sites, while old
>>> downloads are still available, at least for the time being.
>>>
>>> I am going to prepare a new release for the FreeBSD ports, and I am
>>> now in doubt where to place the release snapshot of the source code:
>>
>> If I were you I would just create a shadow project on SourceForge and
>> place just files there.
>
> Or github or lots of others,mostly git based.
>
> As for Google Drive, I suppose that it could be a solution as long as you
> have adequate space for the distro(s). The URLs are pretty ugly. I don't
> know if there is a way to make them a bit "prettier". DISTFILE will need to
> be explicitly stated in the Makefile. I'd move it to githb or some place
> like that, I think. I noticed that iperf, a project with which I used to be
> involved, just moved to github.

Václav and Kevin, thank you very much for sharing your ideas, I appreciated it, even if finally decided to follow the Google Drive path. I opted against (partially) moving to another project hoster, because this seemed to be too involved to me. I like very much the ease of use of the SVN-Web-implementation on Google Code, and switching to GIT is not an option at all for me.

I created already the snapshot of the new release, put the distfile to the public clone - Google Drive, modified/tested the ports Makefile and distinfo, and submitted an update request to FreeBSD ports.

I hope, that this is acceptable.

Many thanks again to everybody who responded.

Best regards

Rolf