Downloads policy of Google Code changed

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 19:42:16 UTC 2014

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 10:39 AM, Václav Zeman <vhaisman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/02/2014 02:35 PM, Dr. Rolf Jansen wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am the developer of a port (sysutils/clone) which is hosted on
> > Google Code (https://code.google.com/p/clone/). In the past, I
> > prepared release snapshots for the ports tree to be downloaded from
> > the very projects site.
> >
> > At the end of the last year, Google Code changed their policy to not
> > to allow anymore new downloads from the projects sites, while old
> > downloads are still available, at least for the time being.
> >
> > I am going to prepare a new release for the FreeBSD ports, and I am
> > now in doubt where to place the release snapshot of the source code:
> >
> > Questions: Is it acceptable for FreeBSD, if I would place new
> > snapshots on one of my personal sites? How do others deal with the
> > new policy on GC? Is it perhaps better to move the whole project to
> > another service, which one?
> >
> > Best regards
> >

> If I were you I would just create a shadow project on SourceForge and
> place just files there.
>
> --
> VZ

Or github or lots of others,mostly git based.

As for Google Drive, I suppose that it could be a solution as long as you
have adequate space for the distro(s). The URLs are pretty ugly. I don't
know if there is a way to make them a bit "prettier". DISTFILE will need to
be explicitly stated in the Makefile. I'd move it to githb or some place
like that, I think. I noticed that iperf, a project with which I used to be
involved, just moved to github.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com