grub2 with libzfs

Beeblebrox zaphod at berentweb.com
Wed Mar 27 18:06:25 UTC 2013

Hi, very happy to see that there are other grub fans in FreeBSD-land!

I was planning to place my grub on a separate UFS partition so that I can
boot other things (like loopbacked iso's) if I should want to. The grub UFS
partition only has grub files in it (what mounts under /boot/grub) and no
kernel files.

>> specify the zfs module if your 'grub-install' target is a ZFS dataset
I forgot to mention my dedicated grub partition, so I hope it clarifies that
my grub-install target is not a ZFS dataset. However, "kfreebsd
/@/boot/kernel/kernel" is on a ZFS dataset.

Other things I forgot to mention:
I booted an ubuntu cd and installed grub 1.98 on the UFS grub partition.
When I drop into the grub command line and "grub> zfslist (hd0) or (hd0,1)"
I get message "no labels found". "insmod zfs" is loaded by default at grub
boot-up.
Host info: 10-Current, amd64, ZFS ver: features async_destroy, empty_bpobj,
lz4_compress

>> You don't need libzfs to use grub2 on ZFS.
Please clarify: Do you mean that I don't need to invoke "--enable-libzfs"?
If so, why do I get the error above (no labels found)?

Thank you for the input & Regards.