Searching the port tree with portmaster?

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 17:07:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM, LuKreme <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> Am I missing a search feature in postmaster?
>
> If not, how are people finding where a port is to install it (I had a heck
> of a time finding sudo, for example)

Method 1:
cd /usr/ports
make quicksearch name=sudo

Method 2:
cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/psearch
make install clean
rehash
psearch sudo

Method 1 doesn't require any extra software, but requires a lot of typing.

Method 2 is very handy and speedy, and requires much less typing once
psearch is installed.

Portmaster is a ports installation/upgrading tool.  It's not a ports
searching tool.  Remember the Unix philosophy:  do one thing, and do it
well.  :)  Use separate tools for separate functions.

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com