ports need a uniq identifier, do you have any suggestion?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Mon Jun 11 13:12:25 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 03:31:30PM +0300, Vitaly Magerya wrote:
> Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> >> Perhaps we could introduce UNIQUE_ORIGIN which is
> >> ${ORIGIN}_${SUBPACKAGE} or something of the sort?
> >
> > I thought about this one, but while here we should think about package move
> > which keeps being the same package, in that case origin will change, and the
> > uniquename will change which is no good for binary world.
>
> Does pkgng handle MOVED during upgrades? If so, ${ORIGIN}_${SUBPACKAGE}
> will work fine, if not -- then it should; relying on unique name not to
> change is fragile.

pkgng doesn't handle MOVED yet and having a unique identifier for for package
would simplify 90% of the move cases.

Plus ${ORIGIN}_${SUBPACKAGE} is fragile because you can have a port  which is:
lang/mylang with a subpackage bla which will give lang/mylang_bla
and a port lang/mylang_bla with no subpackage which will give  lang/mylang_bla

regards,
Bapt