Thank you (for making the ports less boring).

Xin LI delphij at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:54:57 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM, Chris Rees <utisoft at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 Sep 2011 20:52, "Matthias Andree" <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 15.09.2011 21:36, schrieb Łukasz Wąsikowski:
>>
>> > BTW: You hate having a software update break your software. I hate when
>> > software updates turn off services on my servers. That's another thing
>> > portage do better - update won't turn off any service. You are supposed
>> > to restart services manually after doing etc-update. Speaking of which -
>> > another good idea worth adopting.
>>
>> Few ports stop services when getting deinstalled/upgraded, so it may be
>> worth pinging the affected ports' maintainers about it.
>
> Really? I thought it was supposed to be standard behaviour- the @stopdaemon
> line in pkg-plist facilitates that.

While I totally understand why we do this, I have to say it's VERY
VERY annoying behavior especially when one upgrading a remote system
with multiple server daemon ports.  One have to watch the whole
process carefully and restart the daemon manually.

As part of symmetry, I think a reasonable behavior should be at least,
if pkg_delete kills the daemon, pkg_add or make install should start
it, and the user can optionally disable this behavior.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> https://www.delphij.net/
FreeBSD - The Power to Serve! Live free or die