[RFC] New ports idea: github / gitorious / bitbucket direct support.

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 9 13:05:02 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 09, 2011 at 02:30:52PM +0400, Lev Serebryakov wrote:
> Hello, Freebsd-ports.
>
>   I notice, that many software projects are hosted on social DVCS
> hostings nowadays.
>
>   Other common "feature" among them is absence of "official" tarballs
> for versions. I don't say, that ALL projects whith primary hosting on
> these DVCS sites don't publish official tarballs. But many of them
> don't.
>
>   On other hand, all these DVCS sites provide way to download auto-generated tarballs
> for any tag or branch or revision.
>
>   Maybe, we need support for this model to ports system directly? Like
> we support SourceForge and other code hosting sites.

The main problem with that is: we have no way to keep a valid sum of the
distfiles if it is autogenerated (in particular with github) and this sum is
really important.

regards,
Bapt