[RFC] New ports idea: github / gitorious / bitbucket direct support.

Lev Serebryakov lev at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 9 10:30:58 UTC 2011

Hello, Freebsd-ports.

  I notice, that many software projects are hosted on social DVCS
hostings nowadays.

  Other common "feature" among them is absence of "official" tarballs
for versions. I don't say, that ALL projects whith primary hosting on
these DVCS sites don't publish official tarballs. But many of them
don't.

  On other hand, all these DVCS sites provide way to download auto-generated tarballs
for any tag or branch or revision.

  Maybe, we need support for this model to ports system directly? Like
we support SourceForge and other code hosting sites.

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov <lev at FreeBSD.org>